Mentally Friendly designs products & services, organisations & teams, and policies that make people’s lives better.
Our Org Design practice partners with organisations to co-design change through empowering teams to adopt new mindsets and behaviours so that they can more effectively achieve their mission. Our approach focuses on building up a capacity for teams to learn, adapt and change – all through a journey that is designed with each organisation’s unique mission, context and environment in mind.
Our Org Designers are champions of teams who have a strong understanding of how to empower individual people to work, learn and achieve their missions together. They approach all things with humility and a learning mindset, constantly seeking deeper understanding and application back to the practice.
As a Mentally Friendly Org Designer, the below responsibilities are a guide to the day-to-day tasks you can expect from the role.
- Works with a multi-disciplinary org design team to implement the right approach, team structure, and process necessary to achieve desired outcomes.
- Based on Mentally Friendly’s existing toolkit, adapts rituals, methods, and artefacts to new team and org contexts and environments.
- Draws on existing organisational design theories, practices, methodologies and tools to empower the teams and orgs we work with.
- Helps test and adapt new theories, research and artefacts to reflect Mentally Friendly’s unique Org Design philosophy and practices (e.g., Happy Teams Create Change).
- Empowers people, teams and orgs with the shared language, lens, and progress markers to understand, advance and measure their own growth.
- Serves as the “glue” on Org Design client engagements, connecting the MF team to the people and client teams we’re partnering with.
- Champions the power of teams, consistently ensuring that we are delivering recommendations and outputs to orgs that embrace the potential of people who work together to accomplish a shared mission.
- Creates effective research plans to gain a deep understanding of the individuals, teams and organisations that we work with through interviews, workshops and observation.
- Designs and facilitates workshops and other artefacts to define problems, incite productive collaboration & idea generation, and align people and teams on the direction forward.
As a Mentally Friendly Org Designer, the below are behaviours we practice and mindsets we adopt to do great and meaningful work with happy team.
- Embraces and deeply understands the Mentally Friendly mission, values, principles and ways of working.
- Has strong self-awareness, understanding his/her own strengths, weaknesses and shortcomings as a team member.
- Listens first, dispelling all previously held assumptions and seeking deep, unbiased understanding of every situation.
- Approaches all situations assuming positive intent and an openness to change.
- Advocates for the wellbeing of the people, teams and orgs we partner with.
- Has deep curiosity for better understanding organisations, their business, and how teams and people operate within those constructs to fulfill their missions.
- Approaches his/her role with a growth mindset, viewing every failure or mistake as an opportunity to learn and improve.
- Studies and draws inspiration from external theories, practices, tools and methods to apply to our clients’ contexts and environments.
- Effectively communicates, drawing on different methods and techniques to facilitate people’s comprehension of the message being delivered.
- Builds trust with clients and understands how best to bring them along the org design journey, so there is joint ownership over project responsibilities and outcomes.
- Understands how to build a successful and customised approach for each problem we solve, and knows which people and skills are needed to do our best work.
- Comfortable working collaboratively with the ability to adapt to new information, changing needs and unknowns.
We believe that fun and excitement are key ingredients to great work. Even when the projects are hard we always find time for good times.
We do lots of studio events, everyones birthdays, studio trips away for the weekend, team dinners, Brew club, board games, book club and other great things that start with B.
Purpose built studio
Our studio space was designed for productivity and comfort, not showing off to clients. Expect a relaxed environment with all the things you need and none of the fancy white meeting rooms you don’t.
Every opinion is heard. Everyone presents their own work. Be supported by team leads, not managed. Own your projects from beginning to end.
Our mission is to find the best design thinkers and empower them to learn, grow, and solve problems, together. You'll be backed by a team who will invest in your career progression and development.
Check out our site for more on what we do.
Scope our Instagram to see what we look like.
Read our Medium to understand who we are.
Please provide a link to your portfolio, CV, LinkedIn profile or anything else that lets us know about you below.
We are happy to sponsor the right candidate in applying from outside of Australia.