We’re looking for a Product Designer to join our team in Canberra.
Mentally Friendly is a design and innovation consultancy. We were founded 14 years ago and have studios in Sydney and Canberra. We have established design disciplines spanning digital product, service and organisational design. Here in Canberra, we are also using co-design and our action bias to reshape the way that public policy is formulated and implemented.
At Mentally Friendly you’ll work to create positive impact across the private, non-profit, and public sectors. You’ll take a human-centred, action-biased approach to design. You’ll work as part of multidisciplinary teams, use agile and design-thinking methodologies, and make things real through rapid prototyping.
You should be as excited as we are about creating innovative products, services and policies that solve real problems for real people. Central to our approach is bringing together strategy and action in order to build tangible evidence-based outcomes.
You’ll work as part of a team of designers, who are responsible for all aspects of design: research, UX, visual design and prototyping. You should be comfortable operating in a fast cadence of human-centred, hypothesis driven testing with real prototypes to lower uncertainty. This means you can build actionable insights, while simultaneously generating business outcomes at pace.
While you come from a product design background and love to design and create digital solutions, you must also be excited and comfortable developing your skills and being supported to work as part of our policy, service and organisational design projects. This flexibility and eagerness to learn also extends to working with diverse clients, adapting your processes and communication styles to suit your audience, and applying your design expertise with government, private-sector and non-profit clients.You are:
- Able to design toward a product vision as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Comfortable owning and managing all aspects of the product design process
- Ready to identify and use the right tool for job, at home with the tools of modern product design: Sketch, InVision, Framer, Adobe CC etc. Ability to code (HTML/CSS/JS) is advantageous but not essential
- Strong in validating ideas, questioning assumptions and putting the customer first
- An excellent communicator, who can explain the “why” of a design to colleagues or clients
- Always looking for opportunities to improve and replay your learnings to the team
- Experienced with design thinking, agile methodologies and rapid prototyping
- Willing to get (or already have) a baseline security clearance
Help shape the work of the Canberra studio, while drawing on the support of an established studio in Sydney.
Come to work each day with a sense of purpose, knowing that your work has the opportunity to influence public policy and social outcomes.
Bring your best self to a workplace that is respectful and inclusive. We care about building a diverse team and supporting your growth.
Own your projects from beginning to end. Be supported by team leads, not managed.
Happy teams depend on emotional security. Even when projects are hard we find time for good times.
Our mission is to find the best design thinkers and empower them to learn, grow, and solve problems, together. Our team invests in your career progression and development.
Please provide a link to your portfolio, CV, LinkedIn profile or anything else that communicates your approach to problem solving and design skills, and lets us know what makes you the right person for the job.